Creating a subdomain using cPanel is quick and easy. But before going into the details of the procedure, let us understand what a subdomain is. Suppose you have registered a domain for your company – blogvault.org. This is also known as the root domain. Now, you want to add a support section to it. You don’t need to register a new domain to achieve that. Instead, you can create a subdomain – support.blogvault.org. In the absence of subdomains, all the information will have to be served from the root domain – blogvault.org. Hence subdomains help in creating better hierarchy and organization for your websites.
Creating a Subdomain
1. Click Subdomains.
2. Enter the subdomain name.
3. Select your domain name from the drop-down list.
4. Enter an appropriate root folder for your subdomain. By default, /public_html/support is the document root. The document root is designated to hold all the files for a specific subdomain. If WordPress is set up on a subdomain called a blog, all files will be located under /public_html/blog. A user logging into this WordPress site, we are directed to /public_html/blog folder.
5. Click Create.
You have successfully created a subdomain. You can view it under the Subdomains list.
Managing a Subdomain
Let’s have a look at what you can modify in your subdomain once created.
Modify the Document Root
You can use the modify option to alter the document root specified during the subdomain creation.
1. Click on the notepad icon next to the document root.
2. Enter the new document root for the subdomain
3. Click Change.
Redirection occurs when you attempt to open a web page with a given URL and instead, the page is loaded from another URL. This is used for various reasons such as URL shortening (heard of tinyurl?), circumventing broken links, multiple domain names pointing to a single web site, or even to protect your privacy. You can use the Manage Redirection option to enable/ disable redirection of the subdomain to another link.
1. Click Manage Redirection.
2. Enter the URL to which you want the subdomain to be redirected.
3. Click Save.
4. To cancel the redirection, Click Disable Redirection.
Remove a subdomain
You can use this option to remove a subdomain from the list.