WordPress developers seldom work on a single project. Using the DesktopServer makes local development faster and easier by enabling you to create multiple virtual servers, each serving as a single test site. Whenever you are planning a big upgrade to a live site, the norm is to first import it to one such local server. If you are using blogVault as your WordPress backup service, this task becomes super-easy for you.
Download a Backup
blogVault safeguards your sites by performing daily automatic backups of your data. It maintains up to 30 versions of your backup in its repository. In order to import any site to your local server, you must have a complete backup of your WordPress site, including themes, plugins, and database, downloaded in a compressed format.
To download a backup, click Download Backup from the Dashboard.
- Backup version – The version that you want to download.
- Url – The URL of your site, leave it unchanged.
- Database details – The hostname, database name, and user details corresponding to the WordPress install on your site. These are auto-populated by blogVault.
Click Continue. Your backup is now ready for download. You can now save the compressed backup file on your computer.
Import into DesktopServer
Now that you have a backup ready on your local machine, you can import it to DesktopServer. To begin importing, launch DesktopServer and click Export or import a website, followed by Import an existing WordPress website archive.
You are then prompted to enter the following details:
- Import File – Select the backup that you just downloaded using blogVault.
- Site Name – Specify a URL for your local website. DesktopServer rewrites all references to the original site URL, including images, to the new local URL (ending with the .dev domain).
- Site Root – The location where your WordPress files are stored on your local computer for the newly imported website.
Click Next to begin the importing process which takes up to a few minutes depending on the size of your site. Once this process is complete, your test site is ready for use.
blogVault provides a convenient method to easily backup your WordPress website and migrate it to your local desktop for development. You can redesign your website, upgrade features, test new themes and plugins in a safe offline copy without hindering your live deployment.